RESTORATION OF THE STAINED GLASS WINDOWS
The restoration and conversion of the nave of the church into a concert hall provided the opportunity for a thorough study and cleaning of this outstanding group of stained glass windows – part of the Museum’s collection – that decorate the building. Of the 146 stained glass windows – from the plainest ones in geometrical shapes to the great figurative compositions – eighty-one were restored, including twenty Tiffany windows commissioned at the turn of the twentieth century for the American Presbyterian Church on Dorchester Street (now demolished). They were reinstalled in the Erskine and American Church on Sherbrooke Street between 1937 and 1938. It is without a doubt the most important collection of its kind in the country. To allow music lovers who attend concerts and Museum visitors who stroll through Bourgie Hall to appreciate these windows fully, the Museum installed an innovative system of permanent backlighting, the first to be carried out on such a scale.