The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts (MMFA), with the support of the Conseil des arts de Montréal (CAM), is inviting candidates to submit their applications for the artist residency, Impressions. For an eight-week period, from January to March 2019, the Museum will open its doors and its reserves to a visual artist from one of Montreal’s cultural communities or a First Nations, Inuit or Métis artist. As one of Montreal’s leading institutions, the MMFA considers it imperative to support original initiatives that will provide cultural institutions and creators with the opportunity for mutual enrichment. The Impressions residency is for artists who meet the following criteria established by the Conseil des arts de Montréal:
- A professional solo visual artist (e.g. in painting, sculpture, video art, installation, performance art, photography) who has core training in the arts and whose abilities have been recognized by his or her peers. Professional artists create, perform or publish works for public presentation, devote themselves primarily to the practice of their art and are remunerated for the works they create.
- An artist from a cultural community or visible minority or a First Nations, Inuit or Métis artist
- An artist with less than seven years of professional practice in Quebec
- A Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- A resident of the island of Montreal for at least one year
Please note that MMFA and CAM employees as well as their family members are ineligible for this call for applications.
A dialogue between the artist and the MMFA’s collection
This research and creation program will encourage artistic hybridity by giving an artist the opportunity to draw inspiration from the fascinating resource of the Museum’s collections. With over 42,000 works, 4,500 of which are on view in its five pavilions, the MMFA has the largest encyclopedic collection in Canada. The artist in residence will provide an original perspective on this rich and varied collection.
A project sponsored by the MMFA and the Conseil des arts de Montréal
This project was made possible through the financial support of the Conseil des arts de Montréal. The artist in residence will receive an honorarium of $4,000 and an allowance of $3,000 ($375 per week for 8 weeks), for a total of $7,000. This individual will be chosen by a jury comprising a member from each of the organizations responsible for the program. The artist in residence will be given the opportunity to present the results of his or her research in an exhibition to be held in the mezzanine of the Maison du Conseil des arts de Montréal.
The selection criteria are as follows:
- Originality of artistic approach
- Flexibility and ability to work independently
- Awareness of the historical and artistic background of the works in the MMFA’s collection
- Impact the program will have on the applicant’s career and the resulting benefits
- Impact on the cultural community and the MMFA
To apply, send in:
- Your CV
- The attached application form, duly completed
- 10 images of your artwork
- A short biography and a description of your artistic process
- A letter describing your proposed research and creation project, its intended objectives, a breakdown of your work schedule for the eight weeks of the residency, the project’s relevance in terms of your artistic approach and its expected outcomes.
Applications must be sent by email in a single PDF file (maximum size 10 MB) to firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday, October 9, 2018.